Greyhounds are different, so are their requirements for dog beds!
When we got our first Greyhound and were looking for a good place for it to sleep, we found out how difficult it is to find the right bed. We bought multiple doggie beds until we learned what our pups like.
Most websites that explain what kind of bed Sighthounds would like, are generic dog websites that just change the image and the keyword and pretend to know Greyhounds.
We want to save you time and money by supplying our experiences in finding good Greyhound beds!
As you can see in the pictures below, our four legged friends have (and have tried) many beds. There is not “the one perfect bed” and we found out that their preferences change, sometimes .
All doggie beds discussed here should be comfortable for other related dog breeds as well
The beds were suggesting below should also be a good choice for other Sigthound breeds that share the slender and tall figure and low amount of body fat like Lurcher, Whippet, Afghan Hound, Azawakh, Borzoi, Chippiparai, Galgo Español, Hortaya borzaya, Irish Wolfhound, Kanni, Kombai, Saluki, Scottish Deerhound, Silken Windhound or Sloughi, to name a few.
Greyhound beds need to be big!
Some people might think: Greyhound sleep curled up, so the bed doesn’ t even have to be as wide as the dog is long.
We all know that Greyhounds are very graceful and elegant when they are walking, standing and especially when they are running. A totally different animal appears once they start relaxing and sleeping. They are looking very goofy and very little graceful during their favorite passion = snoozing.
Greyhounds often are different than other breeds, as you will find out sooner or later. When it comes to sleeping this surely is the case. Having such long legs seems to be quite a challenge if you want to get comfortable while sleeping.
So choose the size of your Greyhound’s bed wisely, rather take the bigger version than the smaller one!
Patch showing all his grace and elegance! →
More beds is more!
Other people might say: I bet they need a lot of exercise and only a little sleep!
Whereas many people think greyhounds need loads of exercise in order to be happy, reality often looks very different. They are saving their energy whenever they can for the “big chase” or for playful running with other dogs. This means that they are behaving pretty much like big cats around the house!
This picture and the one above show the Greyhound typical “roaching” position, like a cockroach on it’s back →
Our two greyhounds are sleeping up to 22 hours a day. Therefore they need adequate bedding in order for them to rest comfortably. If space permits they are very happy to have different beds in different rooms that they can go to whenever they feel like. After quietly sleeping in the living room for a while, our Patch and Penny both love to go into a different room where it is cooler, warmer or just quieter.
Many Greyhounds are very active in their sleep. When Patch dreams of what looks like chasing a rabbit, he starts running. If Penny is sleeping close to him, he keeps kicking her involuntarily. She will answer these disturbances with a very dangerous sounding and deep growl. When he realizes that she is growling at him, he will eventually get up and go into another room and sleep there.
You will need a lot of space if you don’t want to share your couch!
One of the things that we underestimated when we got our Greyhounds was the amount of space they would take up if you let them. And we did let them because we want to make them feel as comfortable as any other family member under our roof. Our two “Gentle Giants” are such lovely, quiet and well behave roommates that we don’t mind their excessive “space requirements”.
This is also based on our rule that the couch belongs to humans! Many Greyhound love to sleep on couches, luckily ours never started trying and so the floor and all the dog beds around the house belong to them, we get to keep the couch!
A standard dog bed will do, right?!?
In the beginning we went to our pet store (a big chain) around the corner and bought the biggest version of their average priced beds.
When we went home, we realized that our Greys would fit onto the bed if they would sleep like many other dogs do. But after a few times of turning and rolling over, up to 50% of the dogs would end up on the (cold) floor. This might even happen on purpose when it’s really hot and they are looking for a cool spot of hardwood or tile floor. This also happens too often by accident and they slide further and further off their bed. Being not very keen on getting back onto their long and skinny legs just in order to climb back into bed and continue to snore, they stay “half off the bed” for quite some time.
So we ended up buying beds that are appropriate for their size and sleeping style, which still doesn’t prevent them from sliding off completely though.
This position is commonly referred to as “bed fail” →
What to look out for in a bed?
The material needs to be durable!
Although our greyhounds never tried to destroy their beds on purpose and they don’t chew on the fabric, every now and then they do this digging movement, which looks like they are trying to dig through their beds like it were loose soil. Best case will be if the blanket is loose and they are forming a ball or pile and try to sleep on top of it. But they also will continue digging with their claws if the blanket is already removed or if there is no blanket at all. In that case their repeated digging will destroy delicate fabrics after a while, as we learned. So better get some resilient material in the first place.
Sometimes dogs need a while to get used to their new bed, like Penny did. →
The outer shell needs to be removable and washable!
Patch and Penny love to eat their treats on their beds when it’s cold or wet outside. This means that the bed will get stained easily with pieces of food and saliva. This is why it’s important to us that the cover is removable and machine washable. Also if the dog leaks some urine during sleep it is very helpful to be able to remove and wash the cover.
The bed should not slide around!
If your Greyhound is playing and jumping onto its bed, it’s important that the bed doensn’t slide away.
Due to the long legs Grehyounds can hurt themselves if they slide and fall or are forced to do the splits. If you ever saw your Greyhound doing that and hearing them cry out in pain, you will see what I mean. Having to lift your crying Greyhound from the floor back onto it’s feet is something you don’t want to do twice!
What types of beds are there?
There are multiple different kinds of beds available and there is no one correct answer to the question of which one your dog will like best. It might also depend on the mood and on the temperature what kind of bed your Greyhounds prefer today. Sometimes they prefer fluffier beds which keep them warm and sometimes they prefer flat beds. Sometimes they cannot decide at all and move from one bed to the other and back again. But overall speaking they will accept pretty much any bed which is big enough and where they can sleep without being disturbed.
When our Penny girl arrived in our home after her first life at an Irish Greyhound kennel, she didn’t know beds at all. She was used to sleeping on the floor of her crate, which was completely OK to her. When she arrived in our house she didn’t sleep on the fluffy beds at first, she preferred a blanket on the living room flow. But they get spoiled easily and now she prefers her beds. The only reason why she would sleep on the hard floor now is if it’s really hot. Even then this will do only for a short while before she gets back into her comfy and cozy bed.
1. Donut / Bagel beds
Doughnut shaped beds are perfect for greyhounds that love to curl up. If they are made out of a furry and fluffy material it will also keep the dog warm. As greyhounds usually are really tall and long the doughnut will have to be of quite significant diameter. So make sure that you have enough room for such a big doughnut! We made the observation that our fluffy donut bed is not being used very much during summer times. Patch, who pretty much never is cold, doesn’t use it very much, it’s more often used by Penny who has lost much more fur during her first summer here and now is getting cold more easily than Patch.
This donut has a diameter of 50″ or almost 130cm and Patch is a pretty tall Greyhound, so make sure you have enough space! →
Our favorite Bagel / Donut Beds on Amazon
- 100% American Made by Artisans in the United States
- Luxurious unparalleled soft fabrics
- Custom made for your pet by your choice of fabrics for top and bottom
- Designed with a 360-degree zipper easy to assemble and to clean
- Cover is machine washable/dryer friendly (please check care instructions)
- Water proof pillow liner
- Filling made of eco-friendly polyfill
- Long lasting
2. Orthopedic beds
Orthopedic beds are usually made out of memory foam which will support the spine and hips of your dog. This is especially important with older and injured dogs. Although this kind of foam is more expensive, it might be a wise investment into your dog’s health. If this bed is big enough and of good quality you can probably use it “forever” as this permits most of Greyhound’s crazy sleeping positions from “Roaching” to “Dali-style bed fails”.
Our favorite Orthopaedic Bed on Amazon
- PET FRIENDLY DESIGN: The bed features an L-shaped chaise design with dual bolsters that promote security and provide additional high-loft cushion support for head resters and a cozy nestling nook for burrowers; it’s perfect for sprawlers and cuddlers
- SLEEP SURFACE: The sleep surface is lined with ultra plush faux fur, while the bolsters are wrapped in easy-care micro suede; both are soft-to-touch fabrics that no pet could ever resist snuggling into
- EASY ON JOINTS: The solid orthopedic foam is dense and thick, providing maximum high-loft comfort for breeds of all sizes, while the fluffy-filled bolsters help provide optimum support for the neck, back, hips, and joints for a more restful sleep
- AVAILABLE VARIANTS: The bed comes in Espresso, Dark Sage, Stone Gray, and Marine Blue; it’s also available in Small, Medium, Large, Jumbo, and Jumbo Plus
- EASY CARE: Pets can present some unique cleaning challenges, which is why Furhaven made sure that the removable dog bed cover is completely machine washable for your convenience
3. Flat beds
On a flat bed, the dog can “wander” in their sleep. They can sleep in so many different positions and you might even fit another pet onto the same bed. These beds usually are also easier to transport and store than other beds and are perfect for vacations. If you get a really big one or put two together, you can create the perfect space for multiple dogs and a comfy place to spend 22h of sleeping per day.
Our favorite Flat Beds on Amazon
- PET FRIENDLY DESIGN: The bed features a traditional open mattress design that gives pets plenty of room to sleep in a variety of positions; the gusseted sides also give height and additional high-loft support for enhanced lounging comfort
- SLEEP SURFACE: The sleep surface is lined with ultra plush faux fur so luxuriously soft to the touch that no pet could ever resist snuggling into its downy comfort
- EASY ON JOINTS: The solid orthopedic foam is dense, thick, and insulating, providing maximum loft and sturdy comfort for breeds of all sizes
- PRODUCT DETAILS: Gray; Jumbo Plus, 53″ x 42″ x 5″
4. Elevated / Cot-style beds
Many greyhounds prefer to sleep on cot-style beds as they are raised from the floor and their lower side is staying cool in summer but also not getting cold if the ground is cold and wet. Maybe it will require a little training until the dog is able to climb into this kind of bed for the first time. But once they got to know this kind of comfort they will return again and again.
Our favorite Elevated Bed on Amazon
- STURDY&DURABLE DESIGN: The whole mesh surface is combined with 900D Oxford cloth to make the fabric more refreshing and wear-resistant. Also,the mesh middle gets plenty of air to stay cool and keep your pets sleep more comfortably.
- INDOORS OR OUTDOORS: It is very light weight and can unfold and fold up by squeezing the ends together and comes with nylon type carrying bag. You can keep it all the time and go anywhere, even bring it out when you are at a friend’s house.
- DIMENSION&COLOR: The size 47″L x 24″W x 10″H. Weight: 7 LBS provides enough room for pets . Five color can help you to make better choices for your lovely pets.
- PROTECT YOUR DOG: Made from BSCI certified factory. Maxpama guarantees to provide 1-Month return and replacement service & life-time free customer service – We want our customers to be 100% happy and satisfied.
- BEST TO CLEAN: Fur or dirt is easily dumped or brushed off. The material is easy to clean if bed gets dirty as you just spray it off with the hose
Our favorite Travel Bed on Amazon
- Waterproof and large size: Waterproof dog mat is made of Oxford cloth, water resistant for almost all weather, water or rain drops can be easily wiped off the mat instantly Do not recommend leave the water on the mat for long time. This pad is 51 inch *35 inch, large size for medium and large dogs
- Outdoor and indoor use: perfect outdoor dog bed, suitable as a camping mat, sleeping mat for pets, traveling car mat; also perfert as an indoor dog mat, suitable for crate mat, kennel mat.
- Durable and washable: mat is durable with refined stitching, scratch resistant and claw resistant, but not recommended for aggressive chewers; mat is washable, machine washed with gentle circle or hand washed
- Packable and portable: dog bed is packable, a carry bag is in the package, mat can be easily folded and slid into the bag; bag is portable, roll up the mat, convenient for travel, camping and other outdoor activities
- Easy to clean: front side is Oxford material, easy to clean, stains can be easily wiped off with a damp cloth
If you liked the article you just read, please help us and share it with other people that might benefit from these information, too!
Just click the icons below this box to share us on your favorite social network or click the button for more articles of that kind.